Monday, August 9, 2010

ATV Experience in Koh Sah Mui

Remember in my previous post I mentioned that I didnt have a very good experience with ATV?

In 2008, I went to Koh Sah Mui with my hubby and family members. My in laws are all very adventurous. I was never the adventurous type. But I thought to fit in, I should try to be one.

On the first day, we went Bungee Jumping. I am actually afraid of heights. But I thought what the heck, I came all the way here I should at least try if not I will regret. So I did. I watched my bro in law jump first, then my hubby and next my sis in law. They all jumped solo. Then my turn, I jumped in tandem. On the way up in the crane, I almost shitted in my pants. My eyes were red. The guy who is jumping with me was trying to create a conversation with me. Probably because he saw how nervous I was. He said "Nice weather". I told him "I am afraid of heights and am gonna cry soon. So I am not looking around." Once we reached to the top, I didnt want to get up. I was sitting down. But the guy pulled me. He asked me to walk to the edge of the crane. I moved like a few inches. He said move out a bit more. I looked at him. Then he pulled me to the edge. After that he said "When I count to 3 we jump. Ready? One, two..." Next thing you know I was screaming my lungs out. He didnt count till 3!!! I screamed so loud, I think the poor fella is deaf on one side. I was holding on to him like holding on to my dear life. He said "You can let go now" but I didnt. I think he has a few finger marks on his hips. Haha..but it was fun. We bought shirts and a video of us jumping as a souvenir.

On the second day, we went on to flying fox. After bungee, the flying fox is like nothing. But that doesnt mean I am not afraid of heights. At least I felt more secure with the flying fox. After the flying fox, my bro in law suggested ATV. Initially my hubby was not keen. But we went anyway.

On the 3rd day, this french guy who runs a ATV business came to our villa to pick us up. We arrived at this jungle with some huts. The guy thought us the basics of ATV. How to move forward, reverse and stop. I took one of the automatic ATV while my bro in law and hubby took manual. Initially we were shocked because we were not provided with any safety gear. No helmet or knee pad. I was literally in my bikini. But we went ahead thinking it should be fine. What we didnt know is how hard the terrain was.
I remembered I was telling my hubby and bro in law "Hey I am becoming adventurous." Of course, that statement became the joke of the trip later on.

We went on a 1 hour tour. The first half hour was fine until we came to a steep hill where we were suppose to go up. First the french guy of course went up without any problem. Then my bro in law. I thought hey that was easy. I watched how they maneuver the bike because its not only steep, it has holes along the way. You just need to know where to maneuver and how to avoid being stuck in the hole while going up. Needless to say, I didnt make it. The ATV fell on me and my poor hubby fell too coz he was behind me. I broke one side of the brake on my ATV. The french dude was of course not happy and told me to press the right side of the brake harder when I brake because I broke it. We were not hurt at that point. So we continued our ride.

Then we came to another steep slope. I thought to myself, shit its over. If I dont press the right side of the brake hard enough, the ATV will swirl and I will surely fall. True to my words, I fell. While I was going down
I pressed on my brakes but apparently not hard enough. My ATV swirled and I lost control. In that split second, I thought to myself I better jump out of the bike if not I will fall off the cliff with the ATV and the ATV will be on top of me. So I jumped. My ATV flew off the cliff and toppled. While jumping, I lost my balance and fell off the cliff. My hubby quickly stopped and ran towards me. He was of course not happy. While picking me up, he said "Enough. Lets go back". I remembered the first thing I looked for was my slippers. While looking for my slippers, I looked down on my left leg. I saw blood. I was bleeding. There was a cut on my ankle. My ATV was gone. I cant ride it anymore. So I went onto the french dude's bike. Being a pillion is actually worst then being the rider. He was going so fast, I remembered thinking to myself, if I fall again, there goes my leg.

Then we went back to the main area. We rested for awhile. I looked at my leg and freaked out. I was like "I can see my bones." My bro in law patted my head while pulling my head up. We told the french dude to bring me to the hospital. He said its just a scratch and he can bring us to a clinic to clean it up. After paying him the fee and of course the damage that I have caused to the bike, we left and he brought us to a pharmacy. The lady cleaned my scar up and put on bandage for me. Then we went back to the villa.

My sister in law was of course not happy to see us especially with me limping all the way into the villa. She walked towards us and said I knew it. My hubby opened the bandage to show my sis in law the scar. She told my hubby "You better bring her to the hospital." Next thing you know there is a car waiting outside to bring me to the hospital.

We went to the nearest hospital in the island. I went into the Emergency Room. The nurse took me to the xray room and thank god no bones are broken. The doc came to me and said I needed stitches. The scratch apparently is quite deep. While waiting to be stitched up, the nurse asked me what happened. So I told him. To my surprise, apparently everyday they get cases like me. In the ward there are 4 patients and all are from ATV accidents.
It is apparently quite normal there. Some of them are worst than me. One kid broke his arm and leg. As for me, I ended up with 7 stitches and RM2000 poorer. Thank god for insurance.

Of course, I couldnt go out at night. I had to stay in the villa while my hubby goes out to buy food for me. The manager of the villa heard about my accident and came to visit me. He told me that breakfast will be sent to my room the next morning. It was very sweet of him.

The next day, we left to the airport. I saw a lot of wheel chairs in the airport and I am not the only one on wheel chair. There are a lot of tourists there who are on wheel chair and guess what? All of them had the same accident as me. ATV accident.

From there onwards, I told myself not to be too adventurous. Even if I want to, I should think of safety first. Thank god I only needed a few stitches. What if I broke my leg? Or I hit my head on the rock when I fell? Better be safe than sorry. Well, I guess its also a blessing in disguise. If I didnt follow my hubby and bro in law, worst things could have happened. At least the 2 of them didnt race and crash because I was there.

That is my experience with ATV. Will I ever go on it again? Yes I will but first I would request for safety gear and I would want to know how is the terrain before I go. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment