Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Muay Thai

When I was a kid, sports to me is taboo. It was not my favourite activity when I was in school. I always skip P.E classes and I dread to go to sports day. My parents brought me and my siblings to learn Judo when I was very young. I can honestly say that I hated it and never looked forward to it. The highest that I have achieved in Judo is yellow belt. In Judo, we were thought how to fall in a proper way and also techniques. We always partnered up and practise on each other. I love making my opponent fall. :D But I hate the falling part.

After our Judo class, my parents will bring us to eat in Petaling Street. The Judo centre is located very near to Petaling Street, walking distance. So we will always use the back road to walk to Petaling Street. I hated the back road because I always for some reason stepped on snails. It has become a phobia to me...till today I am afraid of snails.

As I grow older, I learn to like martial arts. This started when I learnt boxing in Allied Gym Combat Sports in Hartamas. The purpose at first was to lose weight. Slowly I started to enjoy boxing. I love the training, techniques, sparing and of course the result of losing weight. The boxing trainer was from New Zealand and has been training for boxing for many years. He used to train us like mad with all his drills. After every class, my hands and legs will be shaking. I felt like I was training like a pro but the trainer told us that it was a quarter of what the professional boxers train. Well, it was sad that after a year of training, the trainer left. After that, I went on to learn Muay Thai till today.

Muay Thai, also called Thai Boxing and The Art of Eight Limbs or "The Science of Eight Limbs", is a martial art where the fighter strikes with the fists, the shins and feet, the knees, and the elbows. The aggressive striking style, focusing on doing maximum damage to an opponent, heavy emphasis on knees and elbows. It is said to be the most lethal martial art.

I am of course not a professional Muay Thai fighter, but I do train twice a week. The extensive training makes me stronger and gives me a lot of confident especially when I am sparing in the ring. This is a clip of me sparing with one of my friend in the class. Letch has been training for a long time. She is very fast and her stamina is crazy. My strength is I have powerful kicks. My weakness is my kicks are not high. But it is good when it comes to sparing with Letch coz she likes to catch my leg when I kick high. Have a look at how the old timer and a newbie like me spar. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment